The Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH), Bureau of Behavioral Health Wellness and Prevention (BBHWP) has been awarded a Vibrant Emotional Health’s National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 9-8-8 State Planning Grant Initiative award. This award will support the development of a strategic and thoughtful plan for how Nevada will address key coordination, capacity, funding, and communication strategies to best support the launch of 988, the nation’s first three-digit number for mental health crisis and suicide response.
What is 988?
988 is a direct three-digit line to trained National Suicide Prevention Lifeline counselors. It will open the door for Nevadans as well as millions of Americans to seek the help they need, while sending the message across the state and the country that healing, hope, and help are happening every day. In 2020, the Lifeline received nearly 2.4 million calls. With an easy to remember and dial number like 988, the Lifeline hopes to reach many more people in emotional crisis.
- Connect a person in a mental health crisis to a trained counselor who can address their immediate needs and help connect them to ongoing care.
- Reduce healthcare spending with more cost-effective early intervention.
- Reduce use of law enforcement, public health, and other safety resources.
- Meet the growing need for crisis intervention at scale.
- Help end stigma toward those seeking or accessing mental healthcare.
Click here to download the Adopted Nevada 988 Planning Coalition Charter